Designed to restore or enhance bone density in areas where it has been compromised due to tooth loss, trauma or other factors, bone grafting involves adding bone or bone-like materials to the jaw to create a stable foundation for dental implants or other restorative treatments.
Types of Bone Grafts:
Different types of bone grafts are used depending on the specific needs of the patient and the area being treated.
- Autografts: Using your own bone, often harvested from another part of the body.
- Allografts: Donor bone from another individual, which is rigorously processed and sterilized.
- Xenografts: Bone derived from animals, usually bovine sources, processed for safe use in humans.
- Synthetic Materials: Laboratory-engineered bone substitutes made from biocompatible materials.
Bone Grafting Procedure:
The bone grafting process involves several stages to ensure successful integration.
- Preparation: The graft site is carefully prepared, and any existing damaged tissue is removed.
- Graft Placement: The chosen graft material is placed at the site, often secured with biocompatible screws or membranes.
- Healing Period: Over several months, the graft material fuses with the existing bone, creating a stable foundation.
- Implant Placement: Once the graft has integrated, dental implants can be placed to restore missing teeth.
Benefits and Impact:
Bone grafting offers numerous advantages for individuals seeking dental restoration.
- Implant Success: Adequate bone density increases the likelihood of successful dental implant integration.
- Preserved Facial Structure: Bone grafting prevents the collapse of facial features due to bone loss, maintaining a youthful appearance.
- Versatile Applications: Bone grafting is used in various dental procedures, from single tooth replacement to full mouth reconstruction.
Depending on the restorative treatment you are undergoing and the condition of your bone structure, Dr. John Han may recommend bone grafting in Midlothian, Virginia. Call us at 804-379-4483 if you have questions and schedule a consultation with our dentist.
|Monday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Thursday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Friday||By Appointment Only|